This article and the subsequent white paper link was written by Mike Keer and the Product Realization Group team.
New Product Introduction consists of people, processes and technology, which together provide a formal methodology for a product’s transition from engineering design to volume manufacturing. A subset of the product lifecycle process, which covers the entire lifecycle of a product from concept to end of life, NPI’s primary focus is on a product’s beta, pilot, and general availability (GA) stages.
Here are seven best practices for deploying a strong NPI strategy:
- Use Concurrent Engineering
- Mitigate Risks
- Employ Design for Excellence (DFX)
- Leverage Rapid Prototyping and Accelerated Life Testing
- Adhere to Agency and Environmental Compliance Requirements
- Learn from Prototype and Pilot Builds
- Deploy Scalable Business Systems